One of the staples of the year-end Japanese TV shows, FNS! This live was back in 2010, when she was celebrating her 10th anniversary of career. And now she's celebrating her 20th anniversary, time flies! She performed that year one of the fans' favorite ballads, Suki de suki de suki de, perfect for the winter holidays!
Resume by Corvina
- she wanted to do so many things for her tour this year as the last arena tour was 5 years ago, but because of the situation she simply couldn't. E.g. the maximum length of the concerts had to be 2 hours and for Kuu it was really hard to come up with a 20th anniversary setlist for just 2 hours.
- she flew to Los Angeles in February to record a new song, but at the same time the heavy spreading of the virus started and she came home to Japan in a hurry. Then everyone had to stay at home and Kuu had the urge to make a new song, so she asked her husband. And writing and recording at home went so well, that almost all new songs of the minis were done at home, the first two songs she only did with her husband, then the emergency ban was lifted and she worked with an engineer of her staff at home.
- this is also the reason the minis are divided in inside and outside like W Face again, it's like a continuation e.g. inside consists more of (happy) pop songs than of nostalgic ballads like in 2017. She mentions here it just comes naturally to her now - if she makes one kind of song she then wants to do another kind of song after that, like yin and yang.
She likes both of her sides very much.
- she owns RUN for 2 years already, but kept it on her stock playlist to use it for her 20th anniversary. She's been walking with her feet on the ground until now, but now she knows the way and is going to run. From walk to WALK OF MY LIFE to RUN. The PV shows her coming home from work (performance, TV, interview), but she's not able to match Koda Kumi with her private self and feels lonely. It's about that suffocating feeling and the hope to go on. (she talked about all that in the live stream for the minis already).
- the Killer monsteR demo was sent to her together with some others by writers from LA, the ones she went to earlier in order to make another dance song. The demo title was totally different, but Kuu wanted to make a song called monster, coupled it with her K and thought this demo fits musically when she heard it. She worked with the writer(s) over ZOOM on the song, was very paticular about the sound and needed 15 times to make the final result.
- working with her husband at home made her realize that her voice is an instrument, like a weapon. In the past she relied more on others to make her voice fit and was to embarrassed to try her own voice out, but not anymore.
- ususally she has rehearsals about 1 month, this time only 11 days.
New dance moves she mostly learned over ZOOM with her dancers.
Also the staff was reduced because of Covid and she had to change costumes on the stage, not in the back, and there was no encore.
She also couldnt meet with everyone in the back between the 2 shows - it really felt like a disruption. She almost had no time behind the stage and so she felt like doing a 2-hours-marathon every time.
For re(LIVE) it was easier, also because the two shows she did a day were different, so it felt more like one big show to her.
She also wondered if her physical strength would be enough as she basically only has done pilates and stretching at home.
She also worried a lot about different things regarding the tour and the whole situation. She was more nervous than with her first one. It probably was her most tense tour ever.
-privately she also likes rock among others not only R&B, hip hop and dance ( she likes those, too), but her sound is based on the latter. She learned to look objectively at her as an artist and thinks what private self and artist do should be seperated (she uses 別 here, so it's meant in the sense of "distinctive" or "ranked by", not simply different).
-she is listening to the music her husband is listening to as well and so her music range she is listening to has doubled.
E.g. he is always listening to Billboard radio, so she gets to know a lot of music.
The environment drastically changed from when she was alone. Her life also got happier overall. Her marriage was a turning point for her career as well.
-that's also visible for her, cause he gives her time to look back at herself. E.g. he often says to her that her fans like her thoughts and ideas. And Kuu realized that she held herself back, cause she also likes artists because of the person behind.
That's why she incorporates her private side more for lyrics and MCs.
She also realized that because she often heard from people lately how beautiful she got. That surprised her, cause she hasn't done anything special. So she thinks it's because her way of thinking changed and people see that.
-for the dark parts in 20 years count her unsuccessful beginning.
Even tho they said they'd drop her with 3 unsuccessful singles, they didn't.
She's also grateful for her staff back then, cause they told her she can make hit songs that don't sell, but get to be loved later. That's how walk was born.
-regarding her future the thought of "towards the future, not to the past " keeps staying the most important to her.
Music industry is getting tougher with conventional methods and Covid is making work harder.
She wants to keep doing music and stay genuine.
That's also why she keeps trying to improve her skills with vocal training and working on her physique as well as caring for her mind.
From the YesAsia preorder of the angeL + monsteR three-disc release, here are scans of the complete album! There's never-before-seen pictures in the booklet, images of the obi and discs as well, and s...
From the YesAsia preorder of the angeL + monsteR three-disc release, here are scans of the complete album! There's never-before-seen pictures in the booklet, images of the obi and discs as well, and scans of each of the two preorder special postcards. There is one postcard each for angeL and monsteR from that same gorgeous photoshoot.
Also, we now have the new songs' lyrics in official print for the first time! Enjoy!
I thought it was really cool that they re-aired her first tour/concert series. <3 Even though she was a little rough around the edges as a performer, she had the energy and excitement. Secret is always a treat to watch.